Frequently Asked Questions (FAQ)


I am looking for information about an ancestor who worked in the mines and was a member of the UMWA.

Unfortunately, we are unable to provide historical information on individual miners. During the past century, there were literally millions of individuals who worked in the nation’s coal mines. The UMWA never kept information on individuals for archival purposes because of the time, effort, and expense of maintaining such voluminous records.

The UMWA’s archives are housed at Penn State University 814-863-2505, where you can learn more about the history of the UMWA and its fight to improve the working and living conditions of its members. However, it is unlikely that the archives contain information on individual miners. Those records, if they still exist, would have been kept by the coal companies that employed the miners. We are unaware of any website that provides information on such collections. For more information, please visit our Collection and Archives page.


Can I get a copy of the number of hours I have vested toward my pension?

To get answers regarding this and other pension-related inquiries, please go to www.umwafunds.org, or call the UMWA Health and Retirement Funds office nearest you:

Washington, DC800-291-1425
Sumiton, AL205-648-4500
Herrin, IL618-985-8362
Evansville, IN812-434-0819
Madisonville, KY270-824-8199
Pikeville, KY606-432-1072
Johnstown, PA814-262-1011
Washington, PA724-229-5402
Price, UT435-650-4671
Castlewood, VA276-762-0155
Beckley, WV304-256-2601
Chapmanville, WV304-855-3735
Fairmont, WV304-367-1400


Please note: The UMWA Health and Retirement Funds is a separate entity from the UMWA International Union. The International Office DOES NOT have access to your records. You will need to call the Health and Retirement Funds to answer any health insurance or pension-related questions.


Why am I not getting my United Mine Workers Journal? 

The UMW Journal is sent to Active, Retired, and Associate UMWA members who are current in their dues, as well as those who have paid for a subscription. If you have recently moved, you need to notify your local union or District office of your new address. If you are current in your dues, have not moved recently, and are not getting your Journal, contact the UMWA Communications office at 703-291-2405.


I want to know more about the Associate Membership. 

The Associate Membership is a way for a surviving spouse, family member, or general supporter of the United Mine Workers to become part of the movement to restore fairness, justice, and dignity for working families. To learn more or to contact our Associate Membership Coordinator visit our Associate Membership page. 


Does the UMWA offer any Scholarships to members or relatives of members?

YES! Two UMWA-Lorin E. Kerr Scholarships will be awarded for the 2024-2025 academic year to help individuals pursue undergraduate degrees in any field at accredited colleges or universities in the United States or Canada. To learn more visit our Lorin E. Kerr Scholarship page. 


Where can I purchase UMWA Merchandise?

The UMWA camo t-shirts are not for sale and are sometimes given out to those who participate in different rallies. Come to the next rally to get a UMWA shirt. To purchase UMWA merchandise other than the camo shirt you can go to our UMWA Store!


If you have additional questions visit our Contact Us page to find the correct department.