Currently, employment in the coal industry is decreasing due to cheap natural gas, rising government regulations regarding the use of coal and a tight export market for metallurgical coal. UMWA members who are not coal miners are also facing layoffs because the dwindling coal industry is affecting the local and statewide economies where the vast majority of members live. The UMWA has put together some resources that can be used as a starting point for laid off members.
Please contact us if you need assistance. The UMWA is working every hour of every day to help you and your family.
- United Mine Workers Funds, Programs, and Community Projects
- Health Care for You and Your Family
- Steps and Tips to Avoid Foreclosure
- S. Department of Housing and Urban Development (HUD) Guide to Avoiding Foreclosure
- Homeownership Preservation Foundation
- Assistance Programs
- United Way and Other Community Programs
- Union Plus