Unemployment Insurance helps workers who lose their job or have their hours reduced recover lost wages. An employee impacted by COVID-19 does not necessarily need to be severed from their job to be eligible and coverage for this benefit has been expanded to include some workers who are not traditionally eligible, such as the self-employed and part-time workers affected by COVID-19. Here are some resources about unemployment insurance:
- Information For Individuals Experiencing Financial Hardship
- Information for Workers and Businesses Affected by Coronavirus (COVID-19)
- General Information About New Mexico’s Unemployment Insurance Program
- U.S. Dept. of Labor: How to File for Unemployment Insurance
- Information About Disaster Unemployment Assistance
Emergency Paid Sick Leave and Family Leave
Many employers are required to provide paid leave for workers who are sick, caring for family members who are sick, or caring for children.
- U.S. Dept. of Labor: Families First Coronavirus Response Act: Employee Paid Leave Rights
- Understand Your Rights to Paid Leave and Paid Sick Time Under the Families First Coronavirus Response Act
Housing Assistance Programs
Information, resources and programs for individuals who are unable to pay their mortgage, rent or utilities.
Food Assistance Programs
Individuals and families in need of emergency food assistance can find resources on food banks, school meal programs, meal delivery programs in their area, and information about federal nutrition assistance programs here:
- New Mexico 211: Find Food Assistance Resources like Food Pantries, Meal Delivery Programs and Public Benefits like SNAP and WIC
- Find Local Food Banks and Get Assistance Applying for SNAP Benefits
- Information About SNAP and Apply for Benefits in Your State
Emergency Child Care Programs
Some states and municipalities offer child care for the children of frontline workers and the most vulnerable student populations. Here are resources on the programs and eligibility requirements:
- Find a Medicaid Provider in Your State
- An Employee’s Guide to Health Benefits Under COBRA
For more information visit the AFL-CIO Resources for Workers Impacted by COVID-19 page.